The Concession Stand

The Peterson Shelter began as "the most noteworthy project since the Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) arrived in the park". The "Combination Building", as it was known in the mid-1930s, replaced "two inadequate structures that were used by park (then Nelson Dewey Park) visitors". The original design called for a building measuring 113 feet by 55 feet.(1)*

The construction began in the mid-1930s under the direction of Harvard Peterson, CCC engineer. The combination building design would "accommodate future visitors with a recreational building fitted both for their aesthetic pleasure and physical comfort. It would be built in harmony with the natural park surroundings.

Natural stone walls began to take shape during the cold months of the mid-1930s. "Stonework progressed slowly during severe weather because the mortar had to be kept warm in canvas and board enclosure." Each time a section of the wall was completed, the structure had to be disassembled and moved.

The building was to be completed in 1937. "It had four divisions in which space was provided for 1) a concession stand, 2) an enclosed portion with display cases for a museum and historical exhibits, 3) a large central portion with a fireplace at each end, and 4) a smaller end portion with open cooking for use by smaller family groups."

--------------------------------
Source:
1) Camp Nelson Dewey Conservation Corps Newspaper. See link