Paul Lawrence

The dedication of the Paul Lawrence Interpretive Center will take place on Sunday, June 3, (Open House Day) at 2:00 p.m. Everyone is invited. No vehicle admission needed.

Paul Lawrence - ca 1930
PAUL ANTHONY LAWRENCE was born in the Town of Mosinee, Marathon County, Wisconsin, on September 22, 1889.    He died at Wyalusing on May 16, 1958 a few months after he retired from his position as State Park Supervisor with the Wisconsin Conservation Department.  He had worked approximately 40 years for the Department over a period of more than 44 years, starting on August 1, 1913. He was one of the state's pioneer conservationists, having graduated in 1914 from the first U.W. two-year course for forest rangers established by State Forester E. M. Griffith. He also secured two years of training in mathematics and drafting from the American School of Correspondence (Chicago).
Paul Lawrence atop Blackhawk Monument
After a few years of timber cruising and fire fighting for the old State Board of Forestry, Paul Lawrence was assigned the job of managing the old Marquette State Park now known as Wyalusing in Grant County. He has been Supervisor of' all State parks in this area including First Capitol near Belmont and Nelson Dewey (Stonefield) near Cassville.
Among the many examples of his handiwork in these parks is a pine plantation over 40 years old at Wyalusing. But even more lasting will be the respect and confidence he earned as a citizen of this community and of Wisconsin.*


 Paul Lawrence Interpretive Center
Paul Lawrence Interpretive Center
The building, originally constructed in 1939 under the Works Progress Administration (WPA), will serve as a legacy to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as well as the WPA. Mr. Lawrence played a vital leadership role in both of these federal programs at what is now Wyalusing State Park. The building served as the park office until 1998. The FOW, with the help of matching grants and community support, financed the restoration and modernization this building and arranged for interpretive displays. The DNR has agreed to name the remodeled building in honor of Paul Lawrence.


*http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/WI/WI-idx?type=div&did=WI.v5i3.WES2&isize=text