Signs of the Time

Building #1724 Gets a New Name
Something NEW at Wyalusing State Park


The Park Office, the naturalist's office, the Old Park Office, and "that small empty building" are all the same - Building #1724. The Department of Natural Resources have designated all state park buildings with a number.

It was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939 (Link)   The building served as the Wyalusing Sate Park Office from 1939 -1998. How many of our readers remember driving up to the building, and registering for a campsite?

A new Park Visitor Center was constructed in 1998. Building #1724 was used as an office for the Park Naturalist until c.a.2004.  The building remained vacant from 2004-2010.

In 2010, the Friends of Wyalusing State Park began to provide funds for the repurposing of the “Old Park Office”. Donations, grants, and Park Concession Stand profits were used to transform the building into an accessible interpretive center.  It will also be used as a meeting place for small groups.  The building received insulation, updated electrical wiring, an accessible entrance, and  tuck-pointing of stones. The new wood paneling came from the trees in the park. The flooring was sanded and finished.  (The interior of the building is featured with a 3d view movie clip in this blog)


 The Friends of Wyalusing State Park, along with Park administration, began working to rename this building a little before 2010. As it turns out, this is not as simple as, “Let’s rename the building……” There are forms to be filled out, and mailed, research needs to be completed, and all of this needs to be approved. Finally, a new name for the building has been determined. It is….. Nope, can’t tell you, yet! That will be in the next blog. But, if you had attended the Friends of Wyalusing State Park meetings, you would know. Hopefully we can keep a secret.

But, what The Friends of Wyalusing State Park can announce is that there will be two new informational signs for the kiosk located just east of building #1724. The signs were funded by the Friends of Wyalusing.

The Civilian Conservation Corps built the kiosk. Originally, it was placed at the entrance to the Point Lookout parking lot. It was used to greet visitors to Nelson Dewey State Park which was the original park name.  Later, it served as a place for park announcements and trail information. The kiosk is the only one which still exists in Wyalusing State Park. In 2010 the kiosk was moved to its present location by park staff. Camp Hosts replaced the old roof with new cedar shakes.

healthemansign
Click on image to view edited photo.
The sign shown to the left is entitled “Heal The Man, Heal The Land”. Through excerpts and photos, the information sign tells about the of the formation of the Civilian Conservation Corps and how it helped “young men rediscover hope and renew faith in their country and themselves”. 

nationindispaie
Click on image to view edited photo.
The second informational sign is entitled, “A Nation in Despair”. The informational sign brings the Civilian Conservation Corps closer to Wisconsin. It tells how the Milk Strike of 1933 affected farmers and failing factory jobs affected Wisconsin families.

When the signs are finally mounted in the kiosk they will look like the edited photos. Clicking on the signs will enlarge the view.

Together, the two signs, inform the park visitor about the importance of the Civilian Conservation Corps. The Friends of Wyalusing continue to educate park visitors about the CCC and the WPA though educational kiosks throughout the park and the newly named building #1724.