Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC)–Part I

90_pulled_image2The Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) began it’s work at Wyalusing State Park (formerly Nelson Dewey State Park) in 1935. The work continued until 1937.

In June of 1935, the men of CCC company 2672 set up tent barracks in what is now, the Outdoor Group Camp. The five tent barracks were home to 200 men. The tent barracks were soon replaced with wooden structures made up of barracks, officer’s quarters, mess hall, latrine, infirmary, recreation hall, and supply depot.
The CCC developed and improved roads, trails, and to some extent, the buildings that can be seen today at Wyalusing State Park.pictures1 036

They improved all of the roads that existed at the time: the road was extended from the Old Park Office to Signal Point Lookout, The road going to the Procession of Indian Mounds, and long Valley Road to the boat Landing. One other road was built no longer available is the road from Long Valley Road to Homestead Picnic Area.
The CCC built or improved nine trails that are or have been part of Wyalusing State Park Trail system. They made a portion of Sand Cave Trail from the Old Park Office to Sand Cave to Old Wagon Road. They extended Sentinel Ridge Trail from Green Cloud Picnic Hill to Point Lookout and connected Bluff Trail to Sentinel Ridge Trail.

They constructed trails out of four existing wagon roads in the park. The wagon road that once used by farmers traveling to Walnut Eddy on the Wisconsin River to the park is now called Old Wagon Road Trail. Old Immigrant Trail is no longer part of the existing trail system. The southern part of Sugar Maple Nature Trail was a private road leading from a farm homestead to the boat landing was converted into a trail. The CCC formed part of Walnut Springs Trail from an old military road leading to a fort in Prairie du Chien.

Finally the CCC crew members restored two Native American foot trails that are no longer part of the Trail System.



The video excerpt is narrated by Neal Kephart He was Wyalusing State Park’s superintendent from 1986 to 2004(CA). Kephart, standing next to the Peterson Shelter, presents an overview of the influences left by the Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) and the Works Progress Administration(WPA). (View video on new page)